January 2, 2014 | Alex
Happy 2014! I'm optimistically dubbing this year my Year of Travel. In fact, I'm so optimistic that my friend Andy and I even entered a gentleman's wager on which of us would touch down in the most airports in this calendar year. So far, I've got Norway and Sweden on the books. Game on, Andy.
Travel energizes and inspires me in a way I've never been able to replicate. Sometime in the last 5-6 years, I developed a severe fear of flying. But my wanderlust has proved to be even stronger than my newfound anxiety. (Just don't sit next to me in turbulence. I regret that I may have caused permanent psychological damage to a regional jet full of Aerolineas Argentinas passengers during a thunderstorm en route from Patagonia to Buenos Aires.)
It's my hope that a year of jet setting will lead to wild adventures, new friendships and deepened connections to old friends, plus a firm grip on my Pteromerhanophobia (if you want to be all fancy about it).
Oh, and one more thing I'm hoping for: a revival of the blog column Habit | Habitat. Remember that Austin-inspired style post following my May trip to Texas? It was a solid idea for a column, but my intensive at Parsons and ensuing quarter-life career shift from financial regulatory reform to interior design grounded me until late November.
To usher in my Year of Travel, I'd like to kick off with a new installment of Habit | Habitat, inspired by my recent trip to Iceland. It makes me so very happy to be able to share my travels-- and resulting design inspiration-- with you. Here's to many more adventures together in 2014!
- Shearling Asymmetrical Zipper Coat, Calypso St. Barths - $3,295
- Silver Lapis Lazuli Studs, Far and Wide Collective - $89
- Parkan Backpack, Tory Burch - $247.50 (*on sale)
- Wood Casting, by Hilla Shamia - upon request
- A110 Pendant Light by Alvar Aalto for Artek, via Lumens - $272.00 (*on sale)
- Icelandic Sheepskin by Black Sheep (White Light) + Eames Molded Plastic Side Chair w/ Wire Base, via DWR - $271.15 (*on sale) original image via Pinterest
- Blue and Gold Agate Coasters (Set of 4), Jonathan Adler - $125
- Men's Traditional Wool Sweater, Arctic Selection - $209
- Reindeer Moss, Crate and Barrel - $8.95 (image via DecoFleur )
- Modern Materials Container by Jeonghwa Seo, via Plastolux - price upon request
- Facet Bowl by Roger Lee for Richard Ostell, via Remodelista - $98
- Alafoss Lopi Blanket, via Nordic Store - $120.60
- Armchair 400, Alvar Aalto for Artek - price varies